Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

What's for Lunch?

A few years ago I was sitting at my desk as the students were coming in for the morning. As was the normal routine, each student looked at the lunch menu as they came into the room and then made their choice for lunch.

I was quietly observing the students when Max came up with his face twisted in utter confusion.

"Mr. Pajak, what is fa-jaa-ta?"

"What was the word?'

Max: "Faaaaa- jaaaa- taaaa?"

"I'm not sure, where did you hear it?"

Max: "It's for lunch. Chicken fa-ja-ta."

"Ohhhh (laughing). You mean fajita. Chicken fajita."

Max: "No. Chicken faaaa-jaaa-taaa."

"(laughing again) It's actually pronounced 'fajita.' Have you ever had a fajita before?"

Max: "Uh-uh. Never heard of it."

"It's a little like a taco. They're delicious!"

Max: "I think I'll have the grilled cheese."

No comments:

Post a Comment