Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Is That Even a Word?

There are normally three sections of each grade level at my school. In 4th grade we switch classes for social studies, science, and religion. I teach social studies for each 4th grade class. With only having the other two classes two hours each week, I obviously don't have quite the same rapport as with my own class. This can make for some awkward yet hilarious encounters.

Last winter, one of the classes was coming into the classroom for social studies. I was standing at the door as they walked in. We usually switch classes right after lunch recess, and the students are often a bit chatty as they come in. That day, for whatever reason, they were almost stoic as they walked in. I greeted them as they walked in. Even if someone responded, it was with a barely audible 'hi.'

Bringing up the end of the line was the very quiet Erica. I figured the same mundane response was coming from her. You'd think I'd learn to never assume anything...

"Good afternoon Erica!"

"Oh hi Mr. Pajak. I like your shirt. It's very purpley!"

Then she just walked right to her seat, not expecting any response. No smile. No chance for me to respond. It's a good thing because I had no idea what to say. I just stood in the doorway for a few seconds stunned.

I'd say it's more of a mauve.

No comments:

Post a Comment