Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Marshmallows Do What?

Yesterday I was meeting with my small reading groups. I was looking forward to meeting with the group sitting down because they were very creative and enthusiastic. I was ready to dig in and get things started because, while bright, they were also a bit...divergent. The following conversation ensued during the first five minutes of the twenty minutes we meet.

"Okay everyone. Turn to page 84."

As the pages are turning...Ethan: "What is this a picture of?"

Me: "Is that on page 84?"

Ethan: "No."

"Let's just get to 84 then."

Everybody is on page 84 now.
Liz: "Ethan? Did you take a bite out of your eraser?"

(To be fair, it did look like there was a bite out of it.)
Ethan: "NO. Why would I eat an eraser?"

Samantha: "Well it DOES look like you took bite out of it."

Ethan: "Nooooo. I just pick at it like this." Proceeds to show just exactly how to pick at an eraser.

"OK. Enough with the eraser. Everyone's on page 84. Does anyone remember what character traits are?"

Samantha: "You can get cancer if you eat erasers!"

"Nobody's eating erasers. Let's foc...."

Liz: "Did you know if you eat too many burnt marshmallows, you can get cancer?"

This was followed with a smattering of comments like "oohhh I love marshmallows," "I know someone who has cancer," and "No way. No way marshmallows can do that."



"OK (a little louder this time). We need to focus. Take a look at pa..."

Liz:"Yeah it's true. I'm pretty sure it's breast cancer."

At least we made it to page 84.

No comments:

Post a Comment