Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's a 'T' Not a 'D'

After four weeks of correcting the same kinds of mistakes every day, the kids are finally starting to get the hang of correcting our sentences on the Smartboard. It was taking us about 20-25 minutes to get through two sentences when we started. Now we can cruise through the two sentences in about 10-15 minutes. Needless to say some of the kids believe they've seen it all and haven't exactly been all ears while we are correcting. So today while we were correcting I gently reminded them in a louder than normal tone that they needed to pay attention to each person's correction when they came to the board. I also reminded them that if someone makes a mistake, it's ok. We definitely shouldn't laugh at them.

Then John came up to make a correction in the following sentence:

be sure to right 247 Grand avenue, fort dodge ks 67843 on the envelope

John put three lines under the 'f' in fort. Wonderful I'm thinking! The correct way to show a letter should be capitalized! The whole class had their eyes fixated on John, and you could hear the fans it was so quiet after our little 'talk.' I'm just waiting, expecting even, to hear the words come out of John just like I've taught them: 'I capitalized fort because it's part of the name of the city and a proper noun.'

John: "I capitalized fort because it's the name of a car."

After realizing his mistake, we all had a good laugh. Right after I just told them not to...

No comments:

Post a Comment