Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

You Forgot What?

This morning, before school started, I was walking back to my classroom from the office. Jeffrey, a 4th grader from another homeroom, was walking towards me with a 'where am I' look in his eyes. He looked as if he had just rolled out of bed. Disheveled hair, shoes untied, wrinkled clothes, and a face with bits of breakfast still sticking. I noticed that he had his school uniform pants, but was wearing a very wrinkled brown t-shirt instead of the school uniform red polo.

As we neared each other, I could tell he wanted to say something so I said "What's up Jeffrey?"

Receptive, but far from understanding Jeffrey replied, "Um. Mr. Pajak? Do you know if they have extra...shirts. Here?"

I replied "Where is your shirt?"

"Uh. I dunno. Well, uh. I kinda forgot it." This was followed by a shame-filled downward glance.

Luckily we have a a collection of shirts in the nurse's office. Although, most are for the little kids who spill on themselves at lunch. I informed Jeffrey that there were plenty of extras and we could go take a look.

As we walked into the nurse's office, I asked him, "How did you forget to wear your shirt?"

A more focused Jeffrey replied, "I was in kind of a run this morning I guess."

It took a bit, but we did find a shirt that fit. It was a little tight though.

No comments:

Post a Comment