Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mmmmm Peanut Butter!

Every morning we have 'snack time' in 4th grade because our class doesn't go to lunch until 1:00. Most of the time the students bring in Cheez-Its, pretzels, or fruit. Today Mark was eating celery that was generously slathered with peanut butter. I was impressed with the unique snack so I commented, "Wow Mark, that looks awesome! What a great snack to bring. I love peanut butter!"

Mark is fairly reserved, so he just smiled and made an awkward comment that was somewhat of a 'thank-you' and 'I like peanut butter too.'

Samantha is not reserved. She immediately jumped at the chance to get involved in a conversation and said to me, "My dad loves peanut butter. He puts it on everything!"

Being a fan myself I responded, "I like to put it on a lot of things too. I don't know about everything though... My favorite is dipping Oreos in peanut butter."

Samantha replied, "I've had Peanut Butter Oreos before, but I never dipped them in peanut butter."

"I didn't know they made Peanut Butter Oreos!"


Samantha's straightforward answer, "Yep they do. They have peanut butter in the middle instead of milk."

"Milk?" I replied.

"Yeah, that's what's in the middle of regular oreos."

"Umm, Samantha, that's not milk in the middle."

"Yes it is. What else would it be? It's white."

I explained, "That doesn't make it milk. Lots of things are white. That's just the creme filling."

"Well creme is like milk. It's kind of the same thing." Samantha was still dead serious at this point.

"No not really, milk is a liquid. This is like a frosting."

Samantha, who didn't seem to be convinced, ended the conversation with, "Well. Whatever..."

No comments:

Post a Comment